A Lee Learning Log

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Insight Jar: like a "bug jar" for thoughts

I've been wanting a place to keep record of what I learn each day. I guess, to be more accurate, it's not that I'm really learning that much every day, but there are "insights" that come bouncing into my brain and I want somewhere to catch them. I hope that I can then observe, analyze, compare them to other thoughts, and hopefully learn something at the end of it all. I want to inspire my children to keep records of their thoughts, too, so I figured I have to be the example.



Today, I've been reading "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Bronte. Something she wrote describes an aspect of human behavior that was also pointed out in a parenting book called "Between Parent and Child". I love it when the "truth" is confirmed by another witness. The idea is that parents (or teachers) can show empathy for feelings, but the less said about behavior--the better. The only way to encourage better behavior is through example. Bronte's character, Helen Burns, is constantly reprimanded and flogged by one of the teachers for her lazy and disorganized behavior. I know that faultfinding and critisism doesn't work to change behavior, but what about praise and loving guidance? Helen's other teacher is "gentle and full of goodness". Helen says, "One strong proof of my wretchedly defective nature is, that even her expostualtions, so mild, so rational, have not influence to cure me of my faults; and even her praise, though I value it most highly, cannot stimulate me to continued care and foresight."



If this really is true, then it makes my job as a parent easier in some ways and more difficult in others. I can relax and lay off constantly telling my kids how to "be". However, I need to "be" better myself. The greatest teacher told parables to illustrate princibles. I'd like to stop myself during those times in the day when I'm tempted to talk about behavior and instead, research stories from my life or the lives of others that model good behavior in that aspect. Then, later, if I still feel the need to say something, I have a parable. In trying to be a better example myself, Pres. Packer said, "The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior."

2 comments:

Kris said...

Yea, Tahna! I'm so proud that you've finally joined the blogging community. I'll look forward to reading your thoughts and hearing about your experiences. Maybe you'll inspire me to be more faithful to keep up on my own blog- I've been slacking big-time lately!

Shel said...

Hey cousin!! Welcome to the blogging world! You have inspired me by what you wrote...so thank you! I keep thinking I need to find more books to help me with my little Carterboy....21/2-3 has gotten tricky around here with him....this is just what I needed so thanks! XOXOXO Shel

Books Read in 2008

  • The Well Adjusted Child: The Social Benefits of Homeschooling by Rachel Gathercole T
  • Leadership Education by Oliver and Rachel Demille TJ
  • Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte TJ
  • None Dare Call it Education by John A. Stormer TJ
  • Dumbing Us Down by John Taylor Gatto TJ
  • Self Leadership and the One Minute Manager by Ken Blanchard TJ
  • Between Parent and Child by Haim Ginott and Wallace Goddard T
  • The Lonesome Gods by Loius L'amour TJ
  • The Thomas Jefferson Education Home Companion by Oliver and Rachel Demille and Diann Jeppson T
  • The Chosen by Chaim Potok TJ
  • Laddie by Gene Stratton Porter TJ